Tips For A Successful 2018 Road Check
April 25, 2018
The Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance (CVSA) will be conducting International Roadcheck 2018 from June 5 – 7. This annual three-day event is the largest targeted safety enforcement and outreach event in the world. During a 72-hour period, nearly 15 trucks or buses will be inspected, on average, every minute across North America.
The CVSA recommends the following tips to keep your truck or bus safe and help you avoid violations:
- Inspect your brakes. In 2017, one of the top out-of-service vehicle violations were for brake systems. Insufficient brake maintenance also contributes to commercial truck and bus crashes. Be sure to do the following when examining your brakes:
- Check for missing, non-functioning, loose, contaminated or cracked parts on the brake system.
- Check for audible air leaks around brake components and lines.
- Check brake adjustment and measure pushrod travel.
- Wear a seatbelt. It sounds simple, but seatbelt violations are one of the most common violations. Buckling up will help you avoid unnecessary violations and, more importantly, help you stay safe.
- Check your lighting. Look at all required lamps for proper color, operation, mounting and visibility. Consider replacing any cracked or broken lights with all-makes TRP LED lights for an energy-efficient and durable option. TRP LED lights don’t contain filament and have a high-impact polycarbonate lens for greater nighttime visibility.
- Pre inspect your vehicle. Check for any load securement issues and make sure your mirrors are clean and adjusted properly.
For more resources on CVSA 2018, go here.